Content Management System (CMS) more then just publishing content. It is about publishing content and managing workflow. It should have the function which will allow us to easily conceive, edit, index, and publish content. It should be flexible for the designer and developer to customize the look and functionality. The most important aspect is that it should be user friendly.
Well to tell about WordPress. It is one of the robust, clean, user friendly and flexible content management system. It was initially evolved as Blogging system but now a days it is more about CMS. I can use WordPress for most of my web application development.
WordPress is my Favorite CMS because of the following reasons:
- User Friendly and Easy to Use:
WordPress have a GUI (Graphical User Interface) that is easy on the eyes, doesn’t have overly complicated options, and offers simplicity in its administration interface. Creating and managing the content can be done quickly while saving lot of time. Anyone with basic computer knowledge can operate and manage the WordPress system
- Flexibility and Ease to Customize: WordPress is very flexible CMS which can be customize without having the advance design or programming skills. It is very flexible and is not restricted to specific design template or structure. You can modify it in any way you like it. You can also choose the various Free themes and Premium themes for your site.
- Extensibility via Plugins: WordPress allows you incorporate helpful site features into your site by letting you extend the default configuration with plugins. Plugins make a difference in terms of enhancing your site’s ability to provide your site users with useful options for interfacing with your site. Click here to check out the WordPress plugins.
- No Need for Programming Knowledge: WordPress doesn’t required programming knowledge to publish and maintain your site. It uses WYSIWYG editors, letting you edit content without the need for code. However, the basic programming knowledge will be added advantage to manage the large site.
- Optimized for Performance and Speed: WordPress is highly optimized for Search Engines and also it is one of the lightest application which will load faster then other CMS. WordPress also have wide range of caching and optimizing plugins.
- Security: WordPress is one of the most secure CMS. It is most frequently updated and they are really concern about the security loopholes. So, it is highly recommend that you update your wordpress version to the latest one. Additional there are lot of plugins and other methods to make your wordpress site secure. You can ready my article on WordPress Security Tips for more detail.
- Documentation and Community Support: WordPress has one of the best library of documentation (WordPress Documentation). They have everything properly document for the content writer, theme developer, plugin developer and so on. If you have any problem then they also have WordPress Support Forum with lot of active member who are very helpful and can solve your most of the problem. It is so popular that even you google any problem then you will find out the solutions.
- Emphasis on Web Standards and Best Practices: WordPress is developed under web standards guidelines and best practices and ensure that you won’t get burned later down the road. WordPress is cross-browser compatibility, lean-and-mean code, and ease of maintenance.
- Free and Open Source: Last but not the least, WordPress is free and open source, and it can be downloaded and installed as many times as you want. So, you can try it and user it without any cost. WordPress installations are very quick and easy.
- To add to the list they have just own Overall Best Open Source CMS Award in the 2009 Open Source CMS Awards